Monday, May 28, 2012

art process for "Starry River of the Sky"







So I've been hard at work on the art for Starry River of the Sky. It starts with a sketch:

my sketches are actually drawn very small

This I scan into the computer and adjust to the right size, adding the border and cropping as needed:

the border is just for placement,  I paint a different border with each painting--the  corner icons will be different

I transfer the enlarged drawing onto watercolor paper:

I use graphite paper but it usually only transfers the main image and I have to redraw the details on the paper


It's a lot of prep work before painting:
Here you can see the sketch in scale to the prepped painting

But after a about week of hard work, the finished painting! Voila!


Hope it looks good in the finished book!


3 comments:

Katy said...

I'm always fascinated by the illustration process. Thanks for sharing!

Naomi Canale said...

Wow, how gorgeous. I'm completely captivated by the results.

Tina Cho said...

Neat to see the transformation! Thanks for sharing!