Sunday, August 14, 2011

Imagination and reality








There was one thing I didn't imagine: all the wildflowers.



So, the landscape is actually even more beautiful than I thought it would be; and yes, it does rain -- more than I thought it would. On some of the islands when the sun comes out they call it "a given day." When the sun comes out (and sometimes it does), everything sparkles, even the air, and the sea turns green and turquoise - like the Caribbean only clearer. The beaches are white sand and empty -- no one swims, it's far too cold.

I fell in love with the first island I visited -- here it is from the ferry, leaving:



There is a Scottish saying that if you want to come back to a place, kiss the corners of the room before you go. I repeated this to my English landlady (but didn't tell her I had done it). She laughed and said,
"If I wanted to come back, I'd book a return on the ferry."

I did.

3 comments:

www.juliadenos.com said...

Thanks for the nice peek into Scotland, Libby love the "given day" bit!

Libby Koponen said...

Thanks, Julia! And I love your writing cat -- so elegant and fun, and so you.

Libby

Meghan McCarthy said...

I'm glad you're having a good time. It looks great.