Monday, August 29, 2011

Hurricane Irene






Hi all,

No real post today from me, as I was in a house with no electricity for most of yesterday. My boyfriend and I decided to leave our apartment in Brooklyn and flee to a friend's house in Westchester before the hurricane arrived. The good news is that we're in a nice, stocked house with strong windows, two dogs, one kid, and friendly neighbors. The bad news is now Metro-North is still down while the subways are running, and we lost electricity here, while all accounts seem to indicate that Brooklyn was relatively fine (aside from fallen trees in Prospect Park). Ah, well. We're much more comfortable up here, but will try to make it back home at some point today. I hope our cats are okay!

Hope all of you stayed safe! Any hurricane stories to share?

3 comments:

Libby Koponen said...

Not sure this counts as a hurricane story, but I am still in Scotland and friends where I live have emailed me that our town has no electricity and CL&P doesn't know when we will.

I am scheduled to arrive home late Wednesday night, long after my neihbors will be in bed ahd shops will be shut. So I have packed matches and candles!

Am now on a Virgin Atlantic train to London with greart WIFI, but a fire on the tracks means the train willl be stopping and I will be re-routed....not sure to where.

Meghan McCarthy said...

Libby, my parents don't have electricity or phone service in RI. I hadn't heard from them in a long while! I just heard from my mom last night -- got a phone message -- she finally bought a phone charger for her cell -- they were on the way to the movies. She said the little radio I bought my dad for camping with a hand crank that doesn't require batteries has been a life saver.

Maybe you should stay in the UK for a while!

Meghan McCarthy said...

I should say CAR charger for her cell...