Friday, December 25, 2009

merry christmas!

I forgot to post today because I was too busy doing I have no idea what with the family. I did make macaroni and cheese while my mom made steak and salad. Of course plenty of desserts were made for tomorrow. I also did a bit of painting. I remember how excited I used to be about Christmas and waiting until the morning to open the presents. It was such an exciting time! I loved coming down in the morning and seeing all the gifts that wouldn't fit under the tree or were too big to be wrapped (such as a bike). Ah yes, those were good times. I wondered tonight--if I had a kid, would I tell him or her that Santa was real or not? I mean, essentially you're lying to your child but it's such a wonderful lie that I might go for it. The thing that I wonder about is how did my parents stomach me being most excited over the presents that Santa bought when really they bought them for me? --the new bicycle, for example.

Another thing I did this evening was watch Julie and Julia. Have any of you watched it? I was most fascinated by the blogging aspect. It's a cool idea to do such a large undertaking and to then blog about it. And, of course, the payoff was huge because there was a book and movie made about it. What made me sad though was that Julie never got to meet Julia Child and that Julia did not approve of her blog. Hmmm. I vow to start up the old website personal blog again. I've been meaning to do that for a while but I swear I'm doing to do it now!

Anyway, those are some Christmas Eve ramblings. Everyone else is in bed but I won't be tired for hours. The old me is back. The one who doesn't go to sleep until 4 am.

Happy holidays everyone!

2 comments:

Libby Koponen said...

You too Meghan! I'm glad the old you is back!

Christine Tripp said...

The thing that I wonder about is how did my parents stomach me being most excited over the presents that Santa bought when really they bought them for me? --the new bicycle, for example.

Meghan, the joy and wonder on your childs face is far more rewarding then any number of thank you's.
I so TOTALLY lied to my children, I kept Santa alive for as long as possible, with excuse after excuse, explanation after explanation. We only had gifts from Santa in our home (no packages that said love mom and dad) You might think this glutony of gifts that require not a thanks would result in very ungrateful children growing up to be very selfish adults but it works in the opposite way. As adults, they now love to give, to see that same joy on each others faces and their childrens. Giving for the sheer joy of it, without expecting anything back. I think it's a lovely lesson (even if it requires many, many lies. Actually, can you prove he DOESN'T exist?:)