Friday, July 03, 2009

Psychoanalysis: An Elegy by Jack Spicer


I think it's about time to build an ark in my backyard. We've had nearly forty days of rain in a row. Everything I touch is damp! I hope we see a little sun here for the holiday weekend is over!



Psychoanalysis: An Elegy
by Jack Spicer

What are you thinking about?


I am thinking of an early summer.
I am thinking of wet hills in the rain
Pouring water. Shedding it
Down empty acres of oak and manzanita
Down to the old green brush tangled in the sun,
Greasewood, sage, and spring mustard.
Or the hot wind coming down from Santa Ana
Driving the hills crazy,
A fast wind with a bit of dust in it
Bruising everything and making the seed sweet.
Or down in the city where the peach trees
Are awkward as young horses,
And there are kites caught on the wires
Up above the street lamps,
And the storm drains are all choked with dead branches.

You can read the rest of the poem here.

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!




********************


At Wild Rose Reader, I have an original “tortoise” acrostic and reviews of two pictures books with fables written in verse.

At Political Verses, I have poems from Frances Richey’s book The Warrior: A Mother’s Story of a Son at War. The post also includes a video of Richey and her son speaking with Jeffrey Brown on the Online NewsHour Poetry Series.


Tabatha A. Yeats has the Poetry Friday Roundup this week.

1 comment:

Mary Lee said...

I might try a "what are you thinking...what are you thinking now..." kind of poem! It could indeed go on forever!